Tuesday 28 October 2014

Took the car out for a shakedown

So at the weekend I took the car out for a shakedown! the first shakedown on the saturday had a lot of smoke billowing out off parts near the exhaust, I expected this to some degree from wd40 and oil burning off. However it took a long time! Mainly because when the oil filter came off, oil went everywhere...it was slightly embarrassing!

However on the Sunday it was all burnt off and the car was run normally with no major issues.



I have a small oil leak which looked to be from the headgasket...however after stripping the engine back a bit last night it was the camshaft seals which appear to be leaking. So ill be picking up some gaskets for that and refitting and doing the timing again. Should have the engine back together tonight and oil leak fixed.

the seal had seen better days! And teaches me a lesson...replace all seals!!!




Seeing as the geometry isn't set the car did well, grips well with the wide tyres and once moving the steering feels nice and solid and not too heavy. I will want to replace the springs for softer springs as the ride is a bit too harsh for UK roads in my view. I will also probably at some point in the future replace the rear coilovers for ones where the dampening is on the top as that's restricting my lowering height at the rear.

The car boosted to 7psi without any issues and now I know the oil leak isn't head gasket the 16psi shouldn't be a problem going forward. I'll complete the boost controller solenoid fitting after the bodywork is done and once I've run at 7psi for a little amount of time..

Next stage is to replace the mirrors, the may look small and good, but were useless! So I have found some ones which are bigger but don't look too bad.

As well as this I will create some arch liners to try and keep the mess off the rest of the car! I can only clean it so many times before I get bored. After these two pieces are done it will be time for the bodyshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment