Saturday, 29 December 2012

Driveshafts & CV joints

Not much has been done over Xmas,

but one of my drive shafts had a split on the inner CV boot and with the trouble of removing the drive shaft from the hub it literally destroyed it into multiple pieces.

Today I tidied up the drive shaft that was ok and wrapped it up to protect it. One of the things I always do is put a film of oil over parts I don't want to get surface rust, like parts that are going into the gearbox or hubs.

the next job was to clean up the other, its a bigger task then I thought as it is caked in dirt and oil. I have managed to clean up the support bracket on the driveshaft and once cleaned up I was surprised to find no rust and still a lot of protective paint on it. I'm now just trying to work out the best angle to tackle the CV joint.

I did find this youtube video for a nice little tip on how to get it back together....hope it helps me.

The Rear subframe has gone off to be powder coated and the rear hubs as well. I have had the suspension back and started putting in the bushes, ill do another post on that once complete.

Engine should come back next week...hopefully.

Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Coilover,Hub and larger brake mock up

I decided I should do a mock up fit of the corner with the brakes just to make sure everything is sitting how I want. Everything was fitted together finger tight then taken back apart and stored, it fitted together well.

As previously mentioned they are supra discs (uk spec) 324mm and s14 4pot callipers.You can see the custom bracket on the shots below

The engine cover has now been taken off so I will clean that up and spray that red, once the headgasket is completed over Xmas I will clean it up and spray / paint the block black and clean the head so its a natural silver or maybe spray it silver if required.

Monday, 10 December 2012

Another little update

So ive actually ordered the kit now. Now seems the right time with the MR2 stripped and finally having a work space to crack on with bits and bobs.

the space still seems so small

and the mr2 itself outside and undercover until its crushed. The cover is just to remove the eyesore of a ripped apart car!

As well as clearing a space, I finally removed a stuck drive shaft from a hub (that felt like a victory in itself) I also bought myself a cheap equivalent of a Dremel to cut off the brake shields on the rear hubs as the star keys had rusted away. So I cut them off and the disc appears to also be pressed on so cut a little bit of that away.

I wasn't going to do the rear bearings, until I got them off and one barely spins at all when letting go and the other spins but I'm still unsure of. Whilst the hubs are off the car it will only cost me a few ££ to get them done at a garage and of course I can get them powder coated as well.

This will leave me  with fully Refubished corners;
hubs (inc bearings)
calipers (seals, pistons, new pads)
new discs 324mm front and rear
BC Racing coilovers
new braided brake lines
powder coated suspension

my next part is to do the messy job of changing a couple of split CV Gaitors :(

Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Dampers, springs and Coilovers

This area just like the brakes I had been looking a lot in to. After a lot of advice I realised If I could do one thing different I would of when it came to suspension.

NOT sold the shocks on the car, this would allowed me to build the kit car and get the right coilovers as the last piece of the puzzle by looking into corner weight etc... when fully built. Going that route I could of got professional advice on springs, dampers and what might be the best setup and easier to setup.

Unfortunately it was too late for me so I needed to look into coilovers. Most coilovers offer the same benefits, adjustable dampening, height adjustment etc... so reading personal reviews on the suspension almost became a hobby!

I had actually come to the conclusion I would hold off on the suspension but when a set came up 2nd hand of a higher quality then I was looking at but for a cheaper price and barely used ... I couldn't resist!

The main features I wanted, dampening adjustment, ability to swap springs if needed and finally an ability to adjust ride height without effecting the damper travel.

The set I've managed to get are BC racing RM series coilovers. They have some additional features on top which can be read in the below link.

The one feature I'm happy for is camber adjustment via the coilovers, it may make life a little easier.

They also have pillow ball top mounts so will have less flex. The coilovers and setup of this suspension is going to be critical to produce any form of comfortable ride as polybushes will also take away some flex as well. Obviously not being a daily runner the car can be of a stiffer setup but some comfort for UK roads will be needed.

Setup will be the key! Photo below as you can see like new and ill just give them a slight clean to get rid of the dust and apply any further grease needed on the pillowball joints;