Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Interior Dash and steering wheel and my IVA test

Following the test drive I ordered some 15mm spacers the front wheels were too close to the suspension struts for my liking so they came and were fitted without an issue.

Next I got to work on the last dash panel now it was never going to look overly pretty as it was to be functional at this stage more then beautiful. So I heated some plastic and bent it to the shape I wanted.I also fitted the ODO buttons and put the cowl over the column itself. This tidied up the interior for the test.

Following that I then fitted the lockwire through the brake bias bar as there is a requirement for that for the IVA test.

Next I moved on to putting more trim on bits trying to make sure no sharp edge was missed.

So Monday came and it was time to load the car on again...it was IVA test day. Well first of all it was a very long day with getting up at 5.30am to get there and then the test was from 8am - 2.30pm

Everything was tested from the IVA manual and it was a good job done by the guy in Southampton.I actually learnt alot on the day and was advised on things as we went.

So how did I do...it failed but as they say it was a good fail, with nothing too major (I hope)

the 3 biggest jobs;

Failed on emissions - which I tested the sensors today and it looks like my Lamba sensor is doing bugger all, so new one coming then I can test that is sending a signal to the ECU and I can drive to a prebooked emissions test!

Brake Reservoirs too low - there is a higher point where the fluid goes into the top of the master cylinder, they raised that if there was a pipe leak the reservoir would not empty into it which is a fair point so ill be making some brackets to raise it.

Steering not smooth - This turned out to be too high an angle on one of the unions spent alot of today measuring this before doing anything and the angle was about 41 - 42 degrees, when its advised not to be over 35 ideally 30 in most applications. Although a bit of work this is solvable quite easy by changing the length of the 2 pieces, making one column bit longer and the other shorter changing where the union is.

Other bits were all small;

Passenger side mirror poor visibility - Lowered the arm for passenger side and can now be seen well.

Front indicators - Angle and brightness not enough

Trim on windows needs adding - applied

trim on dash edge - applied

engine rear canopy needs cable to stop it going all way back

Sand edges of the doors and front bumper to smoother radius

Fuel pipe touching alternator pipe - rectified and cable tied to other pipe

Few other radius edges like gear gaitor and heater controls

As you can see a few little jobs and 3 reasonable sized jobs but nothing too major to worry about so I will get on with these over the next couple of weeks and then get a retest booked.

The good news was the brakes were really good and the balance good as well and they all passed. the car passed a hell of alot and for the first of its kind to undertake the test, I'm pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment