Monday, 29 September 2014

Next work parts and problems

So following the IVA pass it was on to the DVLA paperwork first of all. Well that was confusing, thank god a guy at work had recently done it! Made life a million times easier (I hope) So i sent off all that was required;

V55/5 - car registration form
V627/1 - build form
2 forms of ID
Donor car V5C
Photos of build
1st Registration cheque
1st yrs tax cheque

I'm hoping to get an age related plate because of the parts used from the Donor car.

Following this, this weekend I decided to work on fitting the larger turbo. The mr2 engine (3s-gte) had many revisions over the years. Mine was a rev2 , one of the things that wasnt quite as good with this revision as later ones is the turbo. It would not hold the boost till redline and would start to tail off at about 5500rpm. Upgrading to what is known as a ct20b which came on later revisions of the engine resolves this problem holding boost till the redline.



a long time ago, I fitted a metal head gasket and that was exactly for this reason, it will allow me to raise the boost up to 15 / 16psi long term. this will levae me with

new fuel pump
aftermarket side mount intercooler
one set colder plugs
ct20b turbo
boost controller
Metal headgasket
raised boost to about 15/16psi

This will give me about 290/300bhp.

Following a small run of the engine with the new turbo in (to help get rid of any contaments that may of got in there. It was time for an oil and filter change.

The oil came out and wasnt super clean seeing as id only done 15miles, but the engine had probably been run for about 7hours if not more in total so fair amount of actual running not under load but on an engine that hadnt run for over a year previously.

So I fill up the oil and new filter and start it up, all running fine. I give it a small rev to confirm no leaks and the oil filter shoots off at me! Oil everywhere, luckily being on the drive the engine is off within 3 seconds. I thought that was weird as I knew id put it on ok, when I looked the actual oil cooler mounting bracket which the relief valve tightens into had broken. It must of been over torqued in the past. The photo shows the broken metal it should be just a smooth thread all the way round, the thread you can see is a loose chunk.


I've now removed the oil cooler and bracket (luckily its a simple job on the kit car with no rear firewall.) Took me 10mins max and at least I know the two hoses (known as hose from hell and the hose from hell on earth) are both simple for me to change.

When piecing the puzzle bits back together it went together and a small chunk of metal was missing from the top. I can only presume this fired outwards based on the spraying of oil when it did go. There would be no way it was ingested into the engine.

So I now have a very oily drive and a dirty engine again which will need cleaning a lot. but when I get the replacement part it should at least be a small job. I can fit it run the brand new oil that's in it an idle to warm it up....then empty it again and put a fresh batch in.

The reason for warming is it will be thinner and I should be able to get more of it out and any small metal bits will flow with it (if there are any).

2 comments:

  1. Magnetic sump plug FTW!
    Sb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily I have one installed!

    ReplyDelete