1st was to strip off the fabric that was fitted before the summer to the new dashboard, although it looked great it was always going to have to come off. It came off surprisingly easy, luckily I guess the glue was poor!
Following this I then had to start thinking about fitting some dashboard vents and a small cubby hole to hold some bits. My first thoughts were square vents look a bit dated nowadays so I didn't want to go that route. So I decided the easiest was to cut some vents and holes out of a production dashboard, giving perfect circles.
So I went to a scrap yard and got some with vents and also some nice round dial surrounds. all for £20. Next was to cut some holes into the dashboard to get ready to fit them.
Slowly I made the holes bigger and got both sets of vents into position. Making sure it was clear behind to fit the vent and to feed the tube to them. I then filled around them and slowly smoothed them off.
Still more work to do on smoothing it off but getting there in that area. Next I want to remove the top of the dashboard around the dials and replace it with a thinner piece of plastic which will be a perfect curve.
Off the back of that I can make the dial surround piece.
Whilst doing all this I will also be redoing the door cards and also vanity panels to cover the holes at the top of the door. Now the paint on these doors is just a black satin paint, so nice and easy to touch up. I started by sanding all the high points and rough areas so they were flat and smooth. The doors weren't too bad but I wanted to make them nicer.
Also where id stuck some foam over bits for the IVA, the spray garage didn't remove this and sprayed over the top so I felt it looked messy so I started to strip that off as well.
The door looks a million times better already and is nice and smooth to the touch as well. In the photo below its not quite dry hence the shiny wet bits.