Tuesday 4 December 2012

Dampers, springs and Coilovers

This area just like the brakes I had been looking a lot in to. After a lot of advice I realised If I could do one thing different I would of when it came to suspension.

NOT sold the shocks on the car, this would allowed me to build the kit car and get the right coilovers as the last piece of the puzzle by looking into corner weight etc... when fully built. Going that route I could of got professional advice on springs, dampers and what might be the best setup and easier to setup.

Unfortunately it was too late for me so I needed to look into coilovers. Most coilovers offer the same benefits, adjustable dampening, height adjustment etc... so reading personal reviews on the suspension almost became a hobby!

I had actually come to the conclusion I would hold off on the suspension but when a set came up 2nd hand of a higher quality then I was looking at but for a cheaper price and barely used ... I couldn't resist!

The main features I wanted, dampening adjustment, ability to swap springs if needed and finally an ability to adjust ride height without effecting the damper travel.

The set I've managed to get are BC racing RM series coilovers. They have some additional features on top which can be read in the below link.


The one feature I'm happy for is camber adjustment via the coilovers, it may make life a little easier.

They also have pillow ball top mounts so will have less flex. The coilovers and setup of this suspension is going to be critical to produce any form of comfortable ride as polybushes will also take away some flex as well. Obviously not being a daily runner the car can be of a stiffer setup but some comfort for UK roads will be needed.

Setup will be the key! Photo below as you can see like new and ill just give them a slight clean to get rid of the dust and apply any further grease needed on the pillowball joints;


No comments:

Post a Comment